Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Crock Pot Challenge Day #4

I've been eyeing this recipe for quite some time. Flank Steak with Apples, Feta, and Almonds...how can you go wrong? Feta alone makes my mouth water so I knew this would be a good one. I just hadn't had all the ingredients to get the ball rolling. I finally decided tonight was the night. This recipe does require you to plan ahead since the meat needs to be marinated overnight. This turned out more heavenly than I had imagined. The tenderness of the steak paired with the bitterness of feta and sweetness of the apples gave my taste buds a treat.

Flank Steak with Apples, Feta, and Almonds

3 lbs of flank steak
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup of soy sauce (I used low sodium)
3/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 green apple, diced (I used granny smith)
1/3 cup raw almonds, chopped

Marinate the meat with the honey and soy sauce overnight. In the morning, combine the feta, apples, almonds, and garlic in a mixing bowl. Pour the flank steak and the marinade into the crock pot. Remove the steak and unroll. Place a handful or two of the feta mixture into the steak and roll up. Place steak back in the crock pot seam side down. I poured the rest of the feta mixture on top of the steak but you can also use it for a salad topping. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 4 hours. Remove the steak and slice it.

I served this with red potatoes and baked zucchini. It was delicious. Maddie cleaned her plate. Dylan took a couple of bites but for him that means it was good! I will definitely make this again.

1 comment:

April Andrews said...

I feel like a failure when it comes to my crock pot. I tried deer roast with potatoes & carrots yesterday and i put the roast on high last night before bed and put the rest in early yesterday and by 8 pm the roast was delish but the veggies weren't cooked completely, I put in water to the top of the roast. what could i be doing wrong?? any idea? lol