Friday, April 2, 2010

Yummy Dinner

My crock pot has become by best friend these days...with 3 kids, I don't always have time to whip something up for dinner that is healthy and tasty. Evenings are hectic and that's why I love my crock pot. I can throw everything in it in the morning and forget about it. My brother got me this awesome crock pot cookbook for Christmas and every time I make one of the recipes, I'm impressed by how easy they are and how good they taste and most of the recipes are gluten free.

Last night I made Mongolian Beef. It smelled so good all afternoon, I couldn't wait until dinner. It tasted amazing. Here is the recipe taken from the book "Make It Fast, Cook It Slow" by Stephanie O'Dea. I added my modifications below as well.


Mongolian Beef

3lbs flank steak
1/4 cup of cornstarch
1 cup gluten-free soy sauce
1/2 cup dry white wine (I omitted this since I didn't have any)
1/2 cup dry sherry (I omitted this since I didn't have any)
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp molasses
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp natural peanut butter
6 garlic cloves minced
4 green onions sliced
2 tsp dried minced onion (or 1/2 a fresh onion diced)

I added a little water since I didn't have the white wine and sherry.

Put all liquids, dry spices, brown sugar, and peanut butter in the crock pot and mix well. Add the garlic, sliced green onions, and minced onion. Slice steak and put in Ziploc bag with the cornstarch and shake well. Add the meat and toss to coat. Cover and cook 4 to 6 hours on low. Serve with white or brown rice. I also added broccoli to the beef about 30 minutes before serving.

There you go...a delicious dinner that's easy to make.

1 comment:

B Kirker said...

I have to try this - looks so good!