Friday, April 9, 2010

Yummy Dinner Take 2

So at the request of some of my fellow friends, I decided to share another recipe with my readers. I attempted Gyros for the first time last night. I have to say, I think I nailed it. It reminded me of the gyros I used to eat the Greek festival that I went to several times in my past life (aka before I had kids). The Tzatziki sauce tasted dead on and I'm still thinking about that delicious garlicky flavor today. I think this recipe is going to be family favorite of ours.

Again, I used my crock pot for the meat portion and got my recipe from "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow" by Stephanie O'Dea.

For the Gyro Meat:
1/2 chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 pound ground lamb
1/2 pound ground turkey
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp dried oregano
juice of 1 lemon

Place the onion and garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker. Mix together the lamb and turkey with the paprika and oregano. Form into a log...I made several meat ball type mounds and placed them in a circle in the crock pot. Pour the lemon juice on top. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 2 hours.

Tzatziki Sauce:
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tbs olive oil
3 garlic cloves minced
2 tbs chopped fresh mint
juice of one onion

Mix all ingredients together and chill in the fridge.

Slice the meat when done and place in pita bread with the tzatziki sauce. I also added shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and feta cheese in the pita. It was so good. I'll have to make this one again soon...Enjoy! :)

No comments: