Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Gavin's NICU Stay

Gavin had to spend 6 days in the NICU after his birth due to a pneumothorax of his right lung. His right lung failed to inflate properly causing him to labor while breathing and air was getting into his chest. He was hooked up to all kinds of things...oxygen, IV, central lines, blood pressure, heart rate and oxygen monitors. It was so sad seeing him like that. We couldn't hold him and I couldn't breastfeed him. It's the most helpless feeling in the world to see your baby like that. I would never wish a NICU stay on my worst enemy. The joy of seeing your baby for the first time and then not getting a chance to bond with him is heart breaking. I think I did okay but I had my break downs that's for sure. I tried to stay strong but it was very disappointing to go home empty handed. He recovered much quicker than the nurses and doctors thought he would which was a huge blessing. The nurses were in love with him and I knew they were taking the best possible care of him but it still broke my heart to see him like that. He was released on February 3rd and it was an amazing feeling to bring him home and settle into life with our little family.







No comments: